13 May 2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Communication to Bridgewater Canal Boaters
Further to our previous correspondence, the Bridgewater Canal team has continued to work hard to make sure our response to the COVID-19 pandemic is consistent with the government guidelines. Our main priority has always been the health and wellbeing of our staff, customers, and the general public who use our canal and towpath.
As you are aware, we have not specifically prohibited people from accessing their boats but have always requested that customers adhere to the guidelines and social distancing measures. The canal and Bridgewater Way/towpath remain open, as do all Bridgewater Canal Company facilities.
The government has updated its advice in relation to inland waterways and has confirmed that the use of privately-owned motorised craft is permitted. Please visit the Government website for further information:
• All owners of boats on the Bridgewater Canal are to continue to follow government guidelines with regards to social distancing.
• Fishing is now permitted, if social distancing can be achieved.
• All users (pedestrians/cyclists/dog walkers/runners) should strictly observe social distancing at all times and obey local signage regarding cycling.
• Although hardcopy boat licences have not been issued yet, the Company and Enforcement Team are aware of which boats are licensed and use of these boats are permitted on canal.
• The temporary suspension of the Boat Safety Scheme has been extended to 31st July 2020, at which time the situation will be reviewed again.
Once again, thank you all for your co-operation and understanding during these very difficult times.
Director – Bridgewater Canal